Sunday, December 2, 2018

Little things mean a lot

The weather is unseasonably warm today. It's December 2, 2018 and the sunshine and 63 degree temperature feels gorgeous on my skin. My modern sensibilities try to tell me I should feel guilty for enjoying the warm weather because it's likely a cause of global warming, but after two weeks of cold wet rain I am grateful for the respite.

The views here at Fall Run Park are still more lush than usual and the full creek and balmy breeze make me forget it isn't springtime. Even the smaller waterfalls are at their best and they want to show off today.

It's easy to forget about these little gems, the dozen or so small cascades, each less than two or three feet. The two headliners, Big & Little Sister, draw most of the attention. A third has joined their ranks due to a recent landslide and time will tell if she lingers on, becoming a permanent part of the family.

The sound of rushing water is to me one of my favorite comforts.  There is plenty to be heard right now, and the effect is immersive. The walk through Fall Run today is like being bathed in sound.

The baby waterfalls are preening for attention. I shop off the trail to stand close to one. She may not be as grand or tall but she is every bit as queenly in her beauty.  I soak in her spirit for several minutes as we commune together.

I say aloud to her: I see you. I see you.  I take a picture, which offers only a glimpse of this little sprite's charms. I press my palms together, bow my head and offer a parting of N'amaste. She is the Divine.

3 comments:

  1. So pretty! I'm glad that you are focusing on the less-noticeable features of the park, the ones that are likely overshadowed by the more flamboyant sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janette. I'm in love with this. You've managed to pack so much beautiful lyricism in such a small space. Dang poets!
    I think it's difficult for us to not want to bathe in warm December sunlight. It feels almost forbidden - and as you mentioned, a result of a nefarious force (great minds, same gutter, by the way!) But still. This post, as are so many of your posts, is so quietly spiritual. I love the nuance you tuck into each turn, and the idea of being "bathed in sound" as you meander through waterfalls is so incredibly beautiful.

    I've often wondered - have you ever taken off shoes and socks and gone wading and putzing in the water? I look at your photographs, and its truly the only thing I want to do - to play in the water. I love water like this - the tiny little pinpricks of cold water on warm feet!

    I'm so glad you chose this place as your inspiration - there is so much here to feed you. I love this post - it is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Blogspot doesn't like me today - publishing my comment as Unknown. I could get all deep and philosophical about that, but instead I'll just tell you - this is Kim. :D :D

      Delete