Saturday, November 3, 2018

When things are different





After a serious bout with a chronic illness, it is not an easy thing to admit that I am not yet well.  Normally I like to think of my legs as powerful pistons that gobble up hillsides in strong easy strides.  The trail all Fall Run Park is just under 2 miles if you take it all the way to the end and then back again.  When I am in optimal physical condition (for myself that is, as an overweight middle-aged but otherwise fit woman) the walk takes me less than 30 minutes, save for moments of meditation or stopping to take pictures.  

It is a frigid fall day and the cold is clinging to my bones like a coat on a hanger.  Fatigue has settled into my joints and muscles and my breath heaves as I make my way to the top of the first hill.  I hear the smallest of the two larger waterfalls before I see it which brings warmth to my heart.  This particular waterfall has typically slowed to a trickle at this part of the year, if it is flowing at all.  However, it has been an unseasonably rainy autumn.  Many of the leaves are still green and growing, not yet offering a display of rusts and reds.  The water spills down the rock into the creek beneath it.

I've barely walked half a mile but my body says its time to rest.  I sit on a slick mossy boulder near the waterfall I affectionately refer to as "The Little Sister."  She is often overshadowed by the "The Big Sister", a 30 foot fall that runs throughout the year, the fall the creek never abandons even when the rains give way to snow.  

A swell of gratitude overtakes me.  It never occured to me that I would be so weak today, that the larger fall would be out of reach.  The gurgling song of the smaller fall is a gift to me today.  It's as if the creek I love so well knew that I would need her.

An expected swell of emotions overtakes me and I begin to weep in big gulping hiccups which deplete the air in my lungs. The tears chap my face in the  chilled air but I let them come.  I put my head down as my body shakes, take note of the droplets that fall from my eyes onto the muddy soil beneath me.  I'd like to think they will join with the waters of the creek, commingle with the creek water pooling beneath the cascade of Little Sister.

I hear a soft thump and look up to see a starling perched on a branch not more than 6 or 7 feet from my head.  The black bird with a few colored iridescent feathers seems to take in Little Sister alongside me in solidarity.  As I quickly grew tired in this attempt at a hike, I feared it was a mistake to come but I see now this little haven of wilderness is giving me what I need.  This short journey was not what I expected, but it was everything.


5 comments:

  1. I enjoy your familiarity with the area. I love that you named the waterfalls! Your lyricism is subtle and beautiful; I especially enjoyed all the audio and visual references. I appreciate how personal you got with this entry--thank you for sharing your struggles and gratitude, Janette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you’ve positioned the pictures of the waterfall, one on top of the other. As you read them, your eye is drawn to the main trickle of water which from picture to picture flows in a longer s-shaped curve. To me it is almost as if this series of four photographs of the “little sister” waterfall are combining in some version of the bigger one you were not able to get to. And I think this encapsulates what you accomplish in this piece: drawing comfort and solace in the nature you were able to experience, the little sister waterfall and the starling which accompanies you—rather than mourning what you were unable to get to. I think this embodies what we’ve been talking about in the course and embracing what nature is available and experience-able rather than what has been lost. Bravo! Not only for getting out there in the first place but also for this great piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why people tend to name waterfalls as Sisters. In my novel, I have three cities, each set atop a waterfall, and they're known collectively as the Three Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the emotional resonance in this entry Janette. The details are specific and alongside the photographs, I am able to see this place you adore so deeply. I appreciate how well you are able to convey the significance of this moment - what we need in a particular moment usually seems to reveal itself - despite this visit turning out differently than you had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janette, your poignant narrative rings with truth; a candid reflection on your challenges, and a evocative description of the lady springs. I was relieved with te arrival of the bird... In Navaho land, they are messengers, and appear for a reason. It's up to us to decipher it... I.m certain that you will

    ReplyDelete