Saturday, December 8, 2018

Over the precipice

I wanted to go to my park today but neither my body nor the weather were cooperating.  Instead I review a montage of pictures from a few weeks ago when the sky was blue and the creek was lush from a month of nearly daily downpours.  I watch again a video I took of the waterfall I call Big Sister.  My headphones augment the water's song:  I close my eyes and turn up the volume on my phone.  I don't need to see her right now, its enough to hear her.  My mind already knows well the sight and I conjure it easily from years of memories.  Water spills over the jagged ledge, a culmination of billions upon billions of raindrops, and they coalesce into a living work of art, a living symphonic tone poem.

I have learned from this park that home is not a dwelling, a person, or a place, but rather a state of mind and spirit.  Fall Run Park and I have both changed in the past three and a half months.  We've benefited from our respective brokenness.  My near brush with death just two short months ago has quieted the maelstrom of activity and rushing that was my life.  I've learned the wholeness that comes with quiet and introspection.  I don't need achievement to be a force of nature. 

A few years ago it seemed that Fall Run Park would never be repaired from the flooding at the start of this decade. While the park "reopened" in April of this year, for people like me who loved her well, she was never closed.  I never left her side, entering her sanctuary in spite of signs warning of danger and plastic tape barriers.  Now she is repaired, the new pedestrian bridges anchored, the well-worn paths brushed clean of debris.

In a way its ironic that this season has been so rainy.  In spite of the restoration, some of that which was new is already broken.  One of the bridges lost its railing in the wind and rains.  Saplings and branches were scattered about like unwanted toys.  A landslide has muddied the footpaths.  But the landslide has birthed a new waterfall in the canal left behind by the misplaced earth.  The new infant waterfall is only weeks old.  She is tentative and unsure, but she is holding.

Like a child walking behind their parents, I stand in the footprint of Fall Run Park, cradled in this depression made in the Earth.  I am held in an arch of surety and gratitude.  This has been a new season for each of us, a restoration of health and well-being. 

In the practice of keeping a blog, I've come to see Fall Run Park from a fresh perspective.  Since the restoration, we are getting reacquainted.  Being sick has made me different too and I wonder if I feel the same to the air around me.    This is no longer a destination but a relationship.  As cherished as this place is to me, I had never written about it, always letting my camera do the talking.  I think we will both have more to say to one another as time goes on.

Hello again, old friend.

3 comments:

  1. Janette, I can feel the fresh perspective that comes from this visit. Your mood has changed and how you see has come into sharper focus.
    I notice the healing that is taking place both in the falls and and in you. Your motherly concern for the new small fall speaks to this new insight. The revitalized falls and your new perspective resonate with each other, like a twin metaphor of mutual gradual recovery.
    With best wishes for more and even deeper reflections and descriptions...
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this blog allowed you to write about your waterfalls, that it allowed you to write about something you hadn't thought to write about before now. I had the same sort of experience -- creative nonfiction is not something I wrote before this class, and now I find myself intrigued by the possibilities the genre offers. I know you've gotten some great poems out of this material, too, so I think we're both better off now!

    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have learned from this park that home is not a dwelling, a person, or a place, but rather a state of mind and spirit."

    I cannot express how strongly this idea resonates with me. Home really is found within, if we are open to the possibilities. I also love your insight that natural places are more relationship than destination. That is wisdom to hold fast to and keep with us. I've loved seeing your relationship develop throughout the semester, as you've come to a deeper understanding of that relationship and its importance.

    ReplyDelete