This week I visited Fall Run Park for the first time in many months. The pedestrian bridges have been rebuilt and are sure on their moorings. The walking path is well kempt, smoothed over with fresh clean sand, and plucked clean of its poison ivy.
I'd like to imagine that the waterfall has been as lonely for me as I have been for her. She calls out to me with her song of water crashing against the rock. Her smaller sisters greet me first, offering a full-throated welcome. There has been much rain this year and as such they don their finest dresses;
garments thick and full, sweeping with colors of brown, green, and blue with flecks and feathers of red and gold at the hems.
Fall Run has officially reopened this summer although for those of us who loved her best, it was never really closed. We braved the slicks of black mud and the mangled bridges that reminded me of distorted carnival fun houses, my view askew, brain tipsy as my feet struggled to find their way. Today my feet are steady and sure. I can't wait for us to be reacquainted.
Hi, Janette.
ReplyDeleteLove the writing here, the way you've anthropomorphized the waterfalls into women wearing their finest. Very creative!
Waterfalls, I think, are probably one of the most beautiful natural landscapes. I love the way they seem to contain all the four elements -- the water itself, the sharp edges of the rocks, the sense of air through the fall, and the way the light reflects through the crashes makes me think of fire. Such a great site.
Where is Fall Run, by the way?
-Matt Merendo, since you probably don't know who inpariswithyou is
In Shaler along Route 8, about 20 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. http://shaler.org/349/Fall-Run-Park-Judge-DM-Miller
DeleteHi! I really like this line in your post: "We braved the slicks of black mud and the mangled bridges that reminded me of distorted carnival fun houses, my view askew, brain tipsy as my feet struggled to find their way." I am glad you are getting to go back to a spot that you knew once before, I think it could provide a cool opportunity for some really close observation! That is also a very beautiful picture of a waterfall!
ReplyDelete--Jess Miles
That is actually the main waterfall at Fall Run. there are some really lovely small waterfalls but they tend to dry up in certain parts of the year. The largest of the waterfalls may sometimes go down to a trickle but you can see it pretty consistently throughout the year.
DeleteIt's clear from your entry that you have deep affection for this place and I love the way you've personified her as an old friend. I hope we'll get many more details and observations about your visits as the semester goes on.
ReplyDeleteAs you become reacquainted, what will you look for? How has your friend changed from your memories of her? What might she want to tell you?
ReplyDeleteYour imagery is beautifully lush and compact. The "full throated welcome" is so joyous and yet so steady and sure. Although I love waterfalls, I often am less sure of picking through the rocky paths to get to them. This lovely place seems accessible, and certainly accessible through your details.
ReplyDelete